We Are Your



Family Based Immigration Lawyer in Los Angeles

Helping Families Achieve Their Immigration Goals

If an individual has relatives living as citizens or lawful permanent residents in the United States, they may be able to sponsor their family member for immigration into the country. To begin, a relative must petition for the individual to receive a green card, a K-3, K-4, or fiancée visa, depending on how they are related.

You may petition for a green card for the following relatives:

1. US Citizens

(A) Immediate Relatives (No Quotas)


Children under 21, includes a step-child if they were under the age of 18 at the time of the marriage and special rules for adopted children.

Parents if U.S. citizen is over 21

(B) Preferential Relatives (Quotas Apply)

Adults children over 21

Married children along with their children or your grandchildren

Brothers and sisters along with their spouses and children

2. Lawful Permanent Residents (all have Quotas)

Spouse, includes a step-child if they were under the age of 18 at the time of the marriage and special rules for adopted children.

Unmarried children under 21

Unmarried adult children over 21 and their children, includes divorced children but they must remain divorced throughout the process.

Quotas refer to the number of visas allocated to a country or region on a yearly basis and for some classifications the quotas are many years.


Waivers will be required for all relatives who have accumulated periods of unlawful stay in the U.S. which exceeds one year and those individuals who have a criminal record, who received public assistance, and who have been deported in the past. These are the most common waivers.

You may be able to petition for a fiancée visa for an individual you are engaged to who resides outside of the U.S. This also goes for any children under the age of 21 that your fiancée may have. In the case of K-3 and K-4 non-immigration visas, you may petition for a spouse and any unmarried children under 21 that they may have.


In addition to being eligible for petitioning a family member, there are a number of forms that need to be attended to for the process to go smoothly. Because it can be very overwhelming to handle these matters on your own, we recommend you get the support of a skilled Los Angeles immigration attorney.

There are two different methods to obtaining your U.S. residency.


(a) Through Consular Processing if your relative has never been to the U.S. or, has been to the U.S. in the past without breaking the terms of his/her visa or, is in the U.S. but cannot adjust their status and needs to get a Waiver.


(b) Through Adjustment of Status if your relative is in the U.S. and is otherwise eligible. [See Tab – Adjustment of Status]

Call (213) 387-0099 to get more information and advice about family based immigration in the U.S.

Don’t Hesitate to Reach Out for Help

At the Law Offices of Henry Haddad, we are in the business of helping our clients achieve their own unique American Dreams. We know how complicated and daunting immigration can be, and we are here to provide you with compassionate support and skilled representation throughout every step of your case.

Contact us today to schedule your complimentary and
case evaluation with our Los Angeles immigration lawyer.

Contact Us Today!


Schedule Your Free Immigration Consultation

by Completing the Form Below.

Learn all of your options

One-on-one attention

Straightforward legal advice

Payment plans

34+ years of experience

Do you have any immigration questions?

You can schedule your free consultation in less than 2 minutes.

Simply type in your information below.